Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Day 28 - Four Weeks Old

Dear Matthew,

Today you are 4-weeks old. Time flies when you are having fun, and we are definitely having fun.

Today is also your due date. It is highly unlikely that you would have been born on your due date simply because Mommy was supposed to have a scheduled c-section, and most likely it would've been scheduled about a week ago. But still, I find it strange that we've finally reached your due date but you are already 4-weeks old. It just boggles my mind.

We went to see your pediatrician today for a weight check. You now weigh a hefty 6 pounds, 15 ounces and are in the 3rd percentile for your weight. That basically means that out of 100 babies who are your age, 97 of them will weigh more than you. Yep, you're a tiny little guy, but I know you will catch up in due time. Your doctor did say that if you were born today, your weight would put you at the 50th percentile. In other words, you're right on target if we use your gestational age! But alas, that's not how it works, so 3rd percentile it is. Don't worry, you won't be there long, I just know it!

That being said, I am glad to see that you are growing and getting stronger, but a small part of me is a little bit sad, because, well, I just want you to stay little! I love snuggling and cuddling you, and I just know that no matter how much I treasure every little moment with you, this time is fleeting and it will be over far too soon. I know that there are many wonderful adventures awaiting us, but right now I just want you to stay my teeny-tiny little baby.

In other news, I asked your pediatrician if you could still use your SnuggleMe blanket since it causes you to sleep for 4 or 5 hours at a time, and she said it was fine! Lucky us! I think our family will be a whole lot happier with all of the extra sleep we will be getting now. You just need to keep eating every 2-3 hours during the day so you keep gaining weight like the doctor wants you to. And all things considered, I guess I want you to keep growing too. It's what healthy babies do, and ultimately that's what I want. A beautiful, happy, healthy baby... just like you!

I'm lovin' you so much, little one! Can't wait to see what the next 4-weeks holds in store for us!

Love, Mommy

2 comments: